Andrea, our model from last week, returned to sit for us again this week. For a number of reasons, painting didn’t go as smoothly as last time, but in the end it was a worthwhile evening.
I set out to try a new technique. The drawing started as a light pencil sketch, which acted as a guide for an ink line-drawing using a waterproof India ink.
The drawing has strengths and weaknesses, of course, but it’s permanent, so any flaws have to be worked with. The mouth placement is a bit too low (it’s been tweaked in photoshop for the finished piece below). The line quality, too, is inconsistent, while the *width* of the line is almost too consistent. I used a “pen” carved out of bamboo. I’ve had some success using this tool in the past, but it’s been a while, and I it took some getting used to.
The overall design of the composition is strong, however, and the posture of model is pleasantly assertive. It was time for painting to commence.
I started by basically filling in the major areas with broad washes of color. This was a lot like paint-by-numbers, the main difference was that I made no attempt to stay in the lines.
I went back in to pump up colors in some spots with a finer brush, and also to place in the shadows. As mentioned earlier, a couple adjustments were made “post-production” in photoshop: the mouth was raised a bit, and some color added to the eyes, which had previously been filled with the same color as her skin, lending the whole face a washed-out look.
Not enthusiastic about the results of the bamboo pen-and-ink drawing, I did another quick experiment while the watercolor was drying at one point in the evening.
This one was accomplished in two minutes using the same ink, but a fine tipped brush. There was no under-drawing here, just some inky freestyling. With some practice, this technique could be something I could get into!