I was sick last Friday. Therefore, the weekly portrait session was a no-go.
I made up for it by attending our Wednesday night life-model session this week. It was a pretty successful outing.
The model was relatively inexperienced, but did a great job of choosing interesting poses (stick around for these pictures later this week). The final pose of the night is always a longer one. I had already turned out some good full-figure sketches, and the angle was not amenable to a good full-length, so a portrait became the focus instead:
This one only took about a half hour. At that point, it seemed like it had reached the balance between “fully-realized” and “not overworked”. It was time to stop.
This portrait (and others from the session) continue to consolidate the style that I started exploring a few months ago in that Saturday figure session (here). It’s a good feeling when you start to feel more in control of a technique – moving beyond that feeling that successes are just the results of good luck.
P.S. – Dahlia’s hair, as you’ll see later, was actually in long, thin dreads. Also, her name is not Dahlia, but, as usual, I forgot to take down her real name.